February feels like it just disappeared on me, because I spent most of it doing a lot of synchro practice in preparation for the competition I had this past weekend and the next one that I have this weekend. (it’s a crazy schedule this year) Last week’s was in Colorado and was our “North Zone” competition, meaning it was for the north quarter on the United States. It wasn’t a high stress meet because we weren’t trying to qualify for anything this year, but some of the swims were pretty rough. We redeemed ourself on the final day though, and ended up taking 7th in Combo and 3rd in the Senior Team category.
This week’s competition is actually the Minnesota state meet. This meet is in a different category so we are trying to qualify for the next level (regionals) but that shouldn’t be too difficult, especially since we’re in our team pool for this one!
Also, in a moment of experimentation I decided to start a personal/non-book related instagram and tried my hand at my first ever lifestyle-type-post this month. I really enjoy both of these ventures, so I do plan to continue with them.
What I’ve Been Reading:
February was a kind of poor reading month because I spent the beginning of the month waiting for the third Reckoners book to be released, (and kind of recovering from the most recent Mistborn book) and the second half recovering from it. So many Sanderson releases at a time is just not good for my health.
On the top of the books I finished I am currently halfway-ish through Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms #2) by Morgan Rhodes, and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I’m really enjoying The Way of Kings (it’s huge!) but am struggling a little bit with Rebel Spring. I want to like the Falling Kingdoms series but I’m just, well, bored.
- The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn #6) by Brandon Sanderson ★★★★★ THIS BOOK. It was so great and so hilarious and so mind blowing. I don’t think it was my favorite Mistborn book yet but I also have no clue how the next book can possibly top any of this? (Also I love Waxillium Ladrian so yay for one more Wax & Wayne book) I have a review/discussion for Bands of Mourning if you care to read.
- Stars Above (Lunar Chronicles Novellas) by Marissa Meyer ★★★★☆ I thought all of these little stories were great, especially with all the backstory! This book also made a good interlude between bigger, more plot driven books.
- Air Awakens by Elise Kova ★★☆☆☆ I didn’t really care for this one, sadly. Review.
- Firefight (Reckoners #2) by Brandon Sanderson ★★★★★ This was a re-read, and I think I liked it even more than the first time! There were lots of little things I had previously missed (and lots of foreshadowing, too) and my favorite character and favorite pairing has so many scenes in this book it’s great. Which brings me to…
- Calamity (Reckoners #3) by Brandon Sanderson ★★★★★ As a book and a continuation of a series, Calamity was fantastic. As a series conclusion it was likewise great and kept me hanging on and caused me lots of emotions but I oddly feel like there should be more? Like? Where’s the rest? I am very conflicted but I also loved it because the Reckonersverse is my favorite. (Want some full, unrestricted spoilers? I’ve got a Calamity discussion you can read)
(as a side note: Sanderson’s next YA series, Apocalypse Guard, was announced today and it has been said it ties in with the Reckoners series so, hmmm. HMMM. Maybe I will get the extended story that I so want…)
Quote of the Month:
“… a sunrise, always changing, but beautiful the entire time.”– Calamity by Brandon Sanderson, pg 137
Music of the Month:
I stole most of these songs from spotify playlists created by Alexandra @ Twirling Pages, and a few from synchro routines I couldn’t get out of my head…
On the Blog:
- THE BANDS OF MOURNING // REVIEW + DISCUSSION
- THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE // ARC REVIEW
- AIR AWAKENS BY ELISE KOVA // REVIEW
- CALAMITY (RECKONERS #3) BY BRANDON SANDERSON // BULLET POINT THOUGHTS (Entirely spoilers; enter at your own risk)
- A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE BY BRITTANY CAVALLARO // ARC REVIEW